By Quitano Gonzalez
Wed, Aug 19 2026
Schofield And Bahdi WBA Lightweight Title Fight
Floyd Schofield and Lucas Bahdi have agreed terms for a vacant WBA lightweight title fight on October 10, removing the need for a purse bid that had already been delayed while the two sides continued to negotiate.
The bout will decide the belt previously held by Gervonta Davis, who has been declared WBA champion in recess. The purse bid, with a minimum figure of $150,000, was due to be held this week before Golden Boy, who promote Schofield, and Most Valuable Promotions, who promote Bahdi, came to an agreement. The WBA had postponed a purse bid originally scheduled for August 11 in Houston after both camps requested more time, extending the negotiating period to August 18.
The venue has yet to be settled publicly. Schofield's manager Michael Miller told The Ring: "The fight will take place on October 10 and we are 99% sure it will be in Las Vegas. We are thankful for the opportunity to fight for a title. It's something we've been waiting on for years." Mike Coppinger reported that sources said the fight had been signed for October 10 in Chicago.
The WBA ordered the pairing after reviewing Davis' legal situation and determining that ongoing proceedings could prevent him from meeting his championship obligations in the short and medium term. The sanctioning body said the decision was taken under its championship rules and code of ethics, and Davis is no longer listed as a titleholder on the WBA website. Davis had held the WBA lightweight title since 2019 and last fought in a WBA title bout when he drew with Lamont Roach Jr in March 2025.
With Davis moved aside as champion in recess, the WBA's No. 1 contender Schofield and No. 2 Bahdi go straight into a title fight rather than waiting on Davis' availability.
Schofield, 23, is 19-0 with 13 knockouts and is rated No. 6 by The Ring at lightweight. He last fought in June 2025, stopping former junior lightweight titleholder Tevin Farmer in the first round, a result that strengthened his standing with the WBA. Four months before that he withdrew from a scheduled WBC title fight with Shakur Stevenson during fight week, citing illness.
Bahdi, 32, is 20-0 with 15 knockouts and is No. 8 in The Ring's lightweight ratings. The Ontario fighter raised his profile with a knockout of then-unbeaten Ashton Sylve in 2024 and has since taken decisions over Armando Casamonica, Ryan James Racaza and Roger Gutierrez, handing Casamonica and Racaza the first losses of their careers.
Elsewhere in the division, William Zepeda recently claimed the vacant WBC title with a decision over Roach, while IBF titleholder Raymond Muratalla has said his defence against Robson Conceicao was his last fight at lightweight.