Last month’s mismatch made the headlines, but the real mega-fight of the year is just days away and features two of the top pound-for-pound boxers in the sport battling for middleweight supremacy.
Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez (49-1-1, 34 KO’s) takes on Gennady Golovkin (37-0, 33 KO’s) for the unified middleweight championship at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday, September 16.
Canelo has fought twice at the new 20,000 seat arena, which opened a year ago. Last May, he flattened Amir Khan in one of the most spectacular knockouts in recent memory, and followed that up with a victory over a dormant Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. in an extremely dull, one-sided affair.
Golovkin has never fought in Las Vegas and is coming off a close, tough points victory over former world champion Daniel Jacobs in March. The fight snapped a 23-bout knockout streak for the Kazakh.
“I believe my next fight against Canelo is not a decision, because he knows me, and I know him,” Golovkin told Box Nation. I believe he [Canelo] is ready for 100 percent for this fight, because this is true fight. Jacobs is a different class [than Canelo]. Right now, everything is different.”
Canelo also said Tuesday that he doesn’t want the fight to be in the hands of the judges.
“For the people who said this fight wasn’t going to happen, for the people who said that I’m gonna get knocked out, the answers will be on Saturday night, you’ll see,” Alvarez said through a translator.