As previously reported on FightNights.com, Top Rank is pushing for a Jeff Horn-Terence Crawford in the spring of 2018 if he beats Gary Corcoran.
According to sources, the reigning WBO welterweight world champion will potentially face the British fighter on Dec. 15 in Brisbane.
However, it doesn’t appear that Horn (17-0, 11 KO’s) nor his team want anything to do with Crawford (32-0, 23 KO’s), who knocked out Julius Indongo in the third-round in August to become the first-ever undisputed super-lightweight world champion and the first in any weight class since 2005.
Instead, Glenn Rushton, Horn’s trainer and manager, is pushing for a rematch with Manny Pacquiao (59-7-2, 38 KO’s), 38, who lost a controversial unanimous decision to the 29-year-old in July.
The former eight-division world champion turned down an immediate rematch in September as a result of his senatorial duties in the Philippines, though some speculated that Pacquiao isn’t interested in fighting again in Australia, given that he pushed for a rematch in his native country.
But if the Filipino superstar wants to avenge his loss to Horn, he has no choice but to return to Australian soil.
“It’s impossible [to stage the rematch in the Philippines] because we have a contract that [says] if there’s a rematch, it has to be in Australia,” Top Rank promoter Bob Arum told The Star in August.
Horn is in a giant box. His team clearly doesn’t want him to fight Crawford and understandably so. He is arguably the top pound-for-pound boxer in the sport and is the face of Top Rank.
Today, boxing is about proper timing and business decisions more than making the best fights possible. If Top Rank saw a future with Horn as the next big pay-per-view star, they wouldn’t try feeding him to the wolves in just two fights.