Carl Frampton vs. Nonito Donaire in the works for April 7

A fight between Carl Frampton and former four-weight world champion Nonito Donaire at The SSE Arena in Belfast is in the works for April 7.

Frampton (24-1, 14 KO's), 30, of Belfast, suffered his first professional defeat in January when he lost to Leo Santa Cruz in their rematch, and won a controversial unanimous decision against Horacio Garcia, also at The SSA Arena, following an 11-month layoff.

With his eyes set on another world title shot, the bout with Donaire will be his second following his split with Barry McGuigan's Cyclone Promotions and his trainer son Shane earlier this year.

Donaire (38-4, 24 KO's), 35, of the Phillippines, returned to the featherweight division in September with a win over Ruben Garcia Hernandez for a minor title, following a brief stint in 2014.

Donaire won the WBA "Super" world title by technical decision over Simpiwe Vetyeka in September 2014, but was knocked out by Nicholas Walters the following October, and went back down to super bantamweight.

"It's a real cracking fight, a good fight for him [Frampton], and we'll be giving further details in the new year," promoter Frank Warren told ESPN.

However, the fight is still to be officially announced.

Ringstar Sports Promoter Richard Schaefer -- Donaire's promoter -- told ESPN: "Frank and me agreed on the terms, but I am waiting on the paperwork. But I think it's a terrific matchup. Nonito Donaire, when he signed with Ringstar, said he wanted a big fight.

"He's the kind of fighter who never turns down anybody, so I am very happy that in only his second fight with Ringstar I am able to deliver him one of the big names in the 126-pound weight class. I think stylistically it's a great fight.

"Both guys come to fight and Nonito agreeing to go to Belfast shows you how serious he is. He doesn't mind going to the guy's backyard. He knows this is an extremely important fight for him. It's do or die. But, that said, I haven't even seen a draft of an agreement yet. I'm waiting on a contract. I don't announce stuff until the contract is signed."

Donaire, who was rated among the best pound-for-pound fighters from 2009-2012, has won world belts in the flyweight, bantamweight, super-bantamweight, and featherweight divisions.

He has won six of his last seven fights. However, the one loss came at the hands of Jessie Magdaleno, who upset Donaire in a hard-hitting, entertaining fight to take the Filipino's world title in November 2016.

Share this story

must see

  • Parker vs Whyte
  • Garcia vs Easter
  • Porter vs Garcia