Anthony Joshua, the three-belt unified heavyweight world titleholder, has signed a three-year deal with Matchroom Boxing, promoter Eddie Hearn has confirmed.
Joshua will defend his WBA, IBF, WBO and IBO belts against the hard-hitting Alexander Povetkin on September 22 at Wembley Stadium in London, where he is also scheduled to fight in April 2019 as part of a two-fight deal announced earlier this month.
“I’m very proud to announce a new 3 promotional deal with @anthonyfjoshua – from the debut to World Heavyweight title unifications it’s been an incredible journey, and we are only just getting started,” Hearn said in a tweet.
“When I decided to become a professional boxer I felt the boxing market was stagnating and in need of new energy,” Joshua said.
“Both Matchroom and Sky have backed me and have given me opportunity after opportunity, and I will always deliver. They’ve worked very hard to give me a platform to showcase my skills and tell my story, so choosing to renew our deal was always a matter of when, not if.
“We have created history together, and we are dedicated to keeping the UK scene in high demand for all boxers and boxing fans, but for me personally, the journey is nowhere near finished yet.”
Joshua claimed the WBO belt in March but went the full 12 rounds for the first time in his professional career with a unanimous decision over former titlist Joseph Parker.
The biggest win of the 2012 Olympic gold medalist's career came when he knocked out a true legend in Wladimir Klitschko in the 11th round before a British boxing record crowd of 90,000, also at the aforementioned Wembley Stadium, in the consensus 2017 Fight of the Year.