Jermall Charlo might be the mandatory challenger to Canelo Alvarez for the WBC middleweight title, but Charlo is willing to fight the Mexican superstar at any weight class.
Alvarez (50-1-2, 34 KO's), who is the unified champion at 160-pounds, is moving up to the super middleweight limit of 168-pounds to challenge WBA "Regular" titlist Rocky Fielding on Saturday at Madison Square Garden in New York City.
The WBC ordered a final eliminator between Charlo and previously unbeaten world champion Gennady Golovkin, who Canelo defeated in a September rematch. However, Golovkin's team bypassed on the fight, and Charlo, a former 154-pound world titleholder who has fought just once in the last 16 months, will take on Willie Monroe Jr. on Dec. 22 at Barclays Center in his first defense of the WBC "interim" belt.
Canelo has told reporters that the Fielding bout is a one-off and will return to the middleweight division. However, if he changes his mind, Charlo is willing to move up to 168-pounds for a shot at boxing's main attraction.
"The mandatory means nothing in boxing anymore, so I have to take a different route," Charlo told Sky Sports.
"We are going to work it out, and one day, me and Canelo will fight. He's challenging at 168-pounds, another division that's in my near future, and if Canelo chooses to campaign there, I will chase him up to 168-pounds, and I can fight him there too.
"I'm bigger than him and better than him, it's just I don't have as many fights as he's had, but that means nothing. I am ready to fight him whenever. In any division, in every division. Canelo is the biggest name out there at the moment, and I live in Dallas, where we fight lots of Mexicans, and we're on the border with Mexico, so I've never been scared of fighting any Mexican fighter."