Unified middleweight world titleholder Canelo Alvarez is sick and tired of Gennady Golovkin and his team disputing the results of their September rematch.
Alvarez (50-1-2, 34 KO's) won a razor-thin 12-round majority decision over the previously unbeaten Golovkin (38-1-1, 34 KO's) to capture the WBC, WBA belts at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
They initially fought at the same venue in September 2017, with the bout ending in a very controversial split draw. A majority of ringside observers believed Golovkin won both fights, although the rematch was much closer, with most giving the Kazakh the nod with a 115-113 score. FightNights.com also scored it 7-5 for Triple-G.
On Saturday, Canelo is challenging WBA "regular" super middleweight world champion Rocky Fielding at Madison Square Garden in New York City in a one-off bout at 168-pounds.
Alvarez is expected to return to the middleweight division after the fight. The Mexican superstar also says it is time for Golovkin to grow up and accept his defeat.
"He will keep talking, and the answers were clear after the fight," Canelo told CBS.
"His trainer even recognized it but always they will keep talking, and they will never accept the loss, especially because it was his first loss. Look, I know it's tough. I understand. But he also needs to understand how the fight went. He needs to see it himself and see how he lost. And the trainer said it too, and he needs to accept it as a man and accept the loss. They characterized themselves before the last fight as people who will talk, and they will keep talking."
Golovkin is currently a network free agent and has received offers from ESPN, DAZN, and PBC, while Canelo recently signed a massive five-year, 11-fight deal that is worth at least $365 million with DAZN.
GGG is expected to make his decision before the year is over. Either way, Canelo doesn't care what his rival does.
"I have no idea what he's doing or what he will do in his career, but I'm 100 percent focused on Rocky Fielding," Canelo said.
"We have had two good fights so why not a third fight? But I'm focused right now on my fight, and there have been no talks, no nothing. He has been on his side, and I have been on my side. But I'm here, and I have this challenge before me."
And while Alvarez plans to fight again on May 5, he rejected rumors that negotiations have begun for a trilogy fight with Golovkin.
"No, we have not had any talks or approaches [on a third fight], they are rumors. Me personally, I have not had talks or talked about it. I like to respect what I have in front of me; I have a great challenge on December 15. And once I get past it, I'll take a vacation and then we'll see what's on the table for May. At this time it's only rumors."