Pacquiao: I am still okay to fight three more years

LAS VEGAS -- Manny Pacquiao's return to America was a successful one. He easily defeated Adrien Broner via unanimous decision on Saturday night at MGM Grand Garden Arena to retain his secondary welterweight world title for the first time.

Pacquiao (61-7-2, 39 KO's), who turned 40 last month, looked a lot younger. His speed and movement remain a threat, and although his power has dipped over the last decade, his signature straight left hand still has some power behind it. Broner was hurt several times during the bout, and was forced to hold on to survive.

The fight was never close. Broner (33-4-1, 24 KOs), 29, of Cincinnati, who had the intrepidity to claim he won the fight despite landing just 50 punches, was met with a chorus of boos from the partisan crowd.

But how much longer can we expect boxing's only eight-division world champion to fight at boxing's highest level? In November, Pacquiao told reporters that he would hang up the gloves -- for good -- in three years.

At the post-fight news conference, Pacquiao said the plan remains the same.

"Right now I'm still okay (to fight three more years)," Pacquiao told FightNights.com. " I mean I can still fight and you see my performance. I can be an aggressive fighter. I can give my best at the age of 40."

Pacquiao left longtime promoter Top Rank last October to sign with manager Al Haymon, the founder of Premier Boxing Champions, and adviser for Floyd Mayweather. This opens the door for Pacquiao to fight Mayweather in a possible rematch, or fellow PBC welterweight titleholders Keith Thurman and Shawn Porter. Moreover, the winner of the March 16 FOX pay-per-view clash between Errol Spence and Mikey Garcia is also a viable choice for the Filipino megastar.

Share this story

must see

  • Quillin vs Truax
  • Lomachenko vs Campbell