If Anthony Joshua beats Andy Ruiz in their highly-anticipated rematch on December 7 in Saudi Arabia, he already has plans on his next opponent.
The only thing set in stone is that it will not be Deontay Wilder or Tyson Fury.
The former unified heavyweight world titleholder announced in Manhattan during their press tour last week that he will take an “easy fight” if he avenges his loss to Ruiz.
“I’m gonna fight some guy from the pub. That’s what the heavyweight division does, isn’t it? I said, ‘Why am I fighting all these solid contenders? I’m going to fight an easy fight after that,’” Joshua told reporters.
Joshua (22-1, 21 KO’s), 29, of the United Kingdom, was taking a shot at fellow countryman Tyson Fury, who holds the lineal heavyweight title, over his level of competition since linking up with Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum’s Top Rank earlier this year.
“That’s why when you ask me who I’m fighting next, I’m telling you, I’ll fight who I want,” Joshua said. “Don’t tell me about no Wilder or Fury. Take it how you want, but that’s what I see the heavyweight division’s about.”
Fury is set to box unheralded Swedish southpaw Otto Wallin (20-0, 13 KO’s, 1 NC on Saturday night at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. The former unified champ was last in the ring on June 15, when he destroyed unknown German Tom Schwarz inside two rounds.
Wilder (41-0-1, 40 KO’s) will defend his WBC title for the 10th time against Luis Ortiz (31-1, 26 KOs, 2 NC) in a rematch that will reportedly take place November 23 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
Wilder and Fury are contractually obligated to fight again in February 2020 in Las Vegas. The two heavyweight stars battled to a disputed draw last December. However, Wilder has requested that Fury step-aside so he can face the winner of the Joshua-Ruiz rematch. But Fury is refusing to do so unless Wilder pays him a significant amount of money.