UFC President Dana White claimed talks were underway to get Floyd Mayweather in the Octagon, but the 15-time world boxing champion said Thursday that it's not true.
White said the prospect of a Mayweather UFC deal was "real" after color commentator Joe Rogan, who is close friends with White, revealed that the UFC chief told him via text that Mayweather wanted to make a deal.
But Mayweather all but killed off talk of a potential crossover fight.
"I never said I was going to fight in the UFC," Mayweather told FightHype. "I didn't say that. I said if I wanted to, and what I could do. Would and could do is different things. I'm not going to do it though.
Mayweather reiterated comments he made earlier this month that he could make $1 billion if he fought in the UFC.
"They talk about 'oh yeah Floyd said he's fighting in the UFC for a billion dollars.' That's not what I said.
"Exactly what I said is this: If I made over a billion dollars before, I could do it again. If I chose to get in the UFC and fight three fights or four fights and then fight Conor McGregor, which I can. I could do it in three fights, or even four fights. I can make a billion dollars if I choose to get in the octagon and fight.
"We just don't know what the future holds for Floyd Mayweather, and I don't look forward to getting back in the boxing ring. That's what I don't look forward to. I'm just saying I could. I'm not going it, but I'm saying what I could do to make a billion dollars quick if I wanted to do it. That's what I am saying."